History and Mission.
More Than A Century of Compassionate Care…
The Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home is a not-for-profit, non-sectarian skilled nursing home with 120 beds and a staff of 150.
Founded in 1883 by Methodist Church members to provide a comfortable residence for their “indigent” elderly, the first Home was situated on McDonough Street and Stuyvesant Avenue. As a result of the tireless efforts of some 200 women and men from virtually every Methodist church in Brooklyn, the number of applicants for admission grew so large that expansion was essential. Thus, in 1889, a new Home opened at 920 Park Place, which served the elderly for the next 87 years.
The changing needs of the elderly played a role in making the Home what it is today. In 1976, the Home moved to its present location – a modern, sunny four-story building – and took a new direction as a skilled nursing facility. The Home now welcomes all people regardless of religious preference, race, sex, age, handicaps, national origin, or source of payment.
The Home is now large enough to have the most modern, up-to-date technologies and therapies – but small enough to give individual attention to every patient. And… we’re not satisfied to just meet regulatory requirements:we exceed the norm!
The Home is licensed by the New York State Department of Health and affiliated with New York Methodist Hospital, Kingsbrook Jewish Medical Center, Veterans’ Administration Hospital, Long Island Jewish Medical Center and other local hospitals.
After more than 100 years, the Brooklyn United Methodist Church Home remains proudly committed to serving the long-term care needs of the community.